Health Reimbursement Account

Frequently Asked Questions

What Is an HRA?

A Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) is an IRS approved program in which Employers (Trustees) are allowed to set up an account to reimburse Employees (Members) for out of pocket medical expenses and premiums.

Am I eligible for the HRA?


What can I use my HRA for?

You can use your Active HRA to get reimbursed for eligible out of pocket expenses for you or your eligible dependents. In addition you HRA can be used to pay active self pay premiums, retiree premiums in the SMART Local 36 Non-Medicare Retiree Welfare Plan.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           You can use your Retiree HRA only for reimburement for premiums paid for coverage in the SMART Local 36 Non-Medicare Retiree Welfare Plan or the SMART International Medicare Retiree Plan.                                                               

How do I file a claim?

To begin the reimbursement process, please print the HRA claim form. You will need to submit an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) and proof of payment along with the COMPLETED claim form. Eligible dates of service must have occurred on June 1, 2016 or later. Each date of service must be listed separately on the claim form.  Do not combine dates of service. Failure to submit a COMPLETED claim form and or supporting documentation will result in a denied claim and delayed reimbursement.

What expenses are eligible to be reimbursed by the Active HRA?

In network co-pays, deductibles and co-insurance.  
VF related charges
remiums for active self pay and retiree coverage. (Can not be used for COBRA)  
ental/Vision expenses for exams and devices including safety glasses  
Please see the back of the HRA claim form for a list of eligible expenses. Click HERE and scroll down for the list.

Where can I find a blank HRA claim form?

 Click HERE for a blank HRA form.

What is proof of payment?

Proof of payment can be in the form of a cancelled check, receipt or zero balance invoice from the provider or a copy of a bank/credit card statement. Eligible expenses must be paid by member before HRA reimbursement can be considered.

What is an EOB?

Every time the SMART Local 36 Claims Department processes a claim submitted by your provider or you, we explain how we processed it in the form of an explanation of benefits (EOB). The EOB is not a bill.  It simply explains how your benefits were applied to that particular claim. It includes the date you received said service, amount billed, amount covered, amount we paid and any balance you're responsible for paying the provider. Each time you receive an EOB, review it closely and compare it to the receipt or statement from your provider.

Who's name is entered as the participant?

The participant is the eligible member or retiree. 

Who signs the claim form?

The eligible participant must sign the completed HRA claim form.

Can I email the claim form?

Yes.  You can email the COMPLETED claim form and supporting documents to  Submissions can also be faxed to 314-652-0338 or mailed to SMART Local 36 Benefit Fund at 2319 Chouteau Ave., Suite 300, St. Louis, MO 63103.

How long do I have to file a claim with the HRA?

You have one (1) year from the date of service to submit a claim.

Do the funds in my HRA account expire?

No. The funds in the HRA account do not expire.

What happens to the unused balance of my HRA account at the end of the year?

The balance of your HRA at the end of the year will roll over to the following year.

Is this an ongoing benefit?

Membership benefits are reviewed annually by the SMART Local 36 Trustees and decided at that time.  

Is this similar to flex spending account?

No.  The HRA funds are 100% Employer funded.

Can I contribute to my HRA account?

No.  You can not contribute to the HRA.  The HRA is 100% Employer funded.

What happens to my HRA account if I leave the Union?

The HRA eligibility will terminate when coverage under the Welfare Fund terminates. 

Who can I call if I have questions about my HRA?

Please direct any questions regarding your HRA to Lynne Schreiber at 314-652-8175, ext. 318.